Angelism: Not all boyfriends have to be real. Some first loves simply teach us through their role on television or through the lyrics in a song.
Today is a sad day for women around the world. If you were a teen or young adult in the 90’s, your heart is crushed. The passing of Luke Perry has us Gen X kids speechless. Women are in tears reminiscing of their youth crush now gone, and men of this generation are officially questioning their own mortality. Luke Perry, AKA Dylan McKay from 90210, passed away from a stroke today at the age of 52.
As a huge Beverly Hills 90210 fan, I simply must take a moment to share and honor what the character of Dylan McKay taught me.
1) Bad boys are good!
2) Sideburns are super hot!
3) Denim on denim does work!
4) It’s OK to wait to take the virginity of the girl you love.
5) Have a hot, nice, best friend and one nerdy one.
6) A black convertible old school Porsche makes a guy look damn sexy.
7) Ditch school and go have fun. It’s always worth it!
8) Sometimes getting drunk and passing out is OK.
9) Kiss softly… whisper sweet nothings… buy flowers…. and hold the door for your girl.
10) Losing My Religion to this day is still a good song because every time I hear it I picture Dylan and Brenda making out. So lesson learned, for every good make-out session you gotta have a memorable SONG!
Thank you Luke for being one of my first boyfriends. Your character in 90210 taught me a little bit about what I did and didn’t want in a young guy. Your ability to be tough and cool, all while kind and sweet, was adorable. You taught me about peer pressure, sex, money, drugs, and alcohol. You made it OK to have family issues and personal struggles. You taught me sometimes a man is strong and determined and other times he’s a lost soul. Your character had depth and flavor, and decades later, I still appreciate the gift you gave to me. Rest in peace Luke Perry/ Dylan McKay. I love you!